Thursday, October 4, 2012

Not the Typical College Story

  The Social Network was an interesting choice as a movie to display college life. It is not exactly your typical college story and Mike Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg) is definitely not your typical college kid. This movie, originally released October 1, 2010, is one of the multiple movies that I had seen from the list of those being shown at the film fesitval but was the one that most held my interest, so I decided to go see it again. It intrigued me more then some of the other ones I hadn't seen as well which also were at less convenient times. It is a fascinating story about a young college student who basically creates one of the biggest internet sensations of all time, one of the biggest sensations ever for that matter. He gains fame and fortune when he gets an idea to create a social network with the main selling point being that it is "cool." The main selling point of the website is only that it is popular and that is what will make people want to join it. He makes it feel just like a party, an exclusive party, to lure people into using it. Then once their own it, they get hooked! interacting and socializing with friends, seeing who's single, and who other people are socializing with as well are among all the things Facebook has to offer to get people hooked on it. Once it gained enough popularity, everyone wanted to join since it was the cool new thing. Zuckerberg, having spent barely any money on advertisements of any kind, made a fortune off the idea, which he allegedly stole from the Winklevoss twins, (Armie Hammer) which caused legal problems for Zuckerberg, which is one of the main points in the movie. It really gives an inside look into the creation of Facebook  and the controversy that originally surrounded it. It lets the audience see inside a product that they likely use everyday. Any body who fantasizes about living the American dream or just an ordinary person who likes to use Facebook would love to see this movie, not to mention anyone who just likes a good old fashion movie.

4 comments:

  1. hey Joe ! I watched The Social Network as well and I agree when you say that this movie shows the controversy that comes along with the creation of Facebook. I find now that everytime I go on to use Facebook I see it in a completely different light ! Its crazy. You have a really nice review here , I like it!
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also picked The Social Network to write about. Its a great college movie that shows how Mark Zuckerberg the use of a social class, and how at first only "cool kids" used it. I thought you did a great job talking about the whole controversy surrounding Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review joe! I completely agree that this is not a typical college movie. You did a great job of giving a summary of the movie without giving too much away.

    ReplyDelete